Certified Orthotist, CO(c) and Orthotic Resident
This is an amazing opportunity to work in a state of the art, multidisciplinary pediatric facility. We work closely with referring physicians and other allied healthcare providers within the beautiful SSCY (Specialized Services for Children & Youth) Centre in Winnipeg. SSCY houses all of the major pediatric disability service providers in the province and has been in the works with the provincial government for over 20 years. The vision was to have a "one-stop-shop" for children with disabilities and complex medical needs and we are the only facility in the country to offer such a comprehensive and integrated service model.
The majority of our referrals come from sub-specialty clinics held by an orthopedic surgeon or physiatrist and the clinics we commonly work with are the general orthopedic clinic, spasticity, muscular dystrophy, spina bifida, spine and assistive technology.
Our P&O Department
We are a youthful, progressive clinic with a lot of great multidisciplinary resources. We currently have three certified orthotists and one certified prosthetist. We have installed a complete VORUM CAD/CAM
system and have been successful in using this technology in both sides of our practice. Our program shares fitting rooms and some lab space with our Mechanical Design and Services Program (MD&S) who specializes in fabrication of custom assistive technology devices as well as modifying commercially available devices. This program has welding, paint and high-end metal fabrication equipment that allows us to complete repairs
and device design not common in a typical P&O facility. MD&S also uses CAD in their design and fabrication and we are presently implementing 3D-Printing as an option to further customize devices for our clients. We have three 3D printers in our department that can be used for specialized components.
Orthotic Client Demographic
- Commonly treated pathologies include CP, MD, Idiopathic toe walking, spina bifida, congenital club foot, SCI, Scoliosis (neuromuscular and AIS)
- Often work in conjunction with BOTOX and serial casting programs
- UE and Spine
- Standing frames used with SB and assistive technology referrals.
· Provide clinical teaching and supervision to orthotic residents, interns and students as required.
· Study current literature and attend conferences, seminars, etc.
· Provide family-centered, culturally proficient care.
· Certified Orthotist, CO(c). Member in good standing with OPC. Consideration will be made for Orthotic Resident as well.
· Previous experience in a pediatric clinical setting is an asset. Two to five years’ post-certification experience preferred.
· Experience with OPIE Software and Vorum CAD/CAM considered an asset.
Full posting can be found at http://www.rccinc.ca/opportunities/View more classifieds