The University of New Brunswick Fredericton welcomes applications for the position of Prosthetics Research Technician with the Institute of Biomedical Engineering. This is a continuing full-time (36.25 hours per week) position with a salary range of $50,357 – $65,463 per annum.
This position is responsible to ensure the efficient and productive operation of the prosthetics shop with the aim of providing the highest quality in prosthetic devices and service to our clients.
- Under the supervision of the Research Prosthetist, design and fabricate custom powered and passive prostheses, including various myoelectric, sport, and work related devices.
- Troubleshoot and perform repairs, adjustments, and modifications to electrical and mechanical prosthetic systems.
- Develop custom designs and solutions to meet unique patient requests.
- Appropriately document fabrication notes.
- Compile data on fittings, fabrication techniques, and research projects.
- Source and purchase prosthetic components, fabrication materials, and shop tools to ensure efficient operation of the prosthetic fitting facility.
- Maintain an accurate inventory of components and supplies.
- Maintain shop equipment in a safe and serviceable condition.
- Properly store and use various supplies used for fabrication.
- Attend and contribute to planning and patient scheduling meetings with the members of the clinical team.
- Attend patient fitting and training sessions when required by the Prosthetist, or Occupational Therapist.
- Meet with and correspond via telephone and e-mail with clients or caregivers regarding repairs, maintenance, and operation of prosthetic devices.
- Make occasional home or workplace visits with the Occupational Therapist to assess functional modifications and adaptations to prostheses, tools, and equipment.
- Assist students and faculty in the design and fabrication of devices for use in their research.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Two years’ technical training in Prosthetic/Orthotic Technology from a recognized school or equivalent experience.
- Competencies in other languages an asset, French preferred.
- High level of manual dexterity, strong problem solving abilities.
- Possess excellent interpersonal skills and organizational skills to complete assigned work and manage changing caseloads.
- Familiarity with emerging technologies, such as 3D printing, are an asset. Familiarity with organizational/inventory software is an asset.
Closing date for applications is February 24, 2021 4:30PM.
This position is covered by the terms and conditions contained in the Collective Agreement negotiated between UNB and PSAC/PTSU Local 60551.
The University of New Brunswick and PSAC/PTSU Local 60551 are committed to employment equity and fostering diversity within our community and developing an inclusive workplace that reflects the richness of the broader community that we serve. The University welcomes and encourages applications from all qualified individuals who will help us achieve our goals, including women, visible minorities, Aboriginal persons, persons with disabilities, persons of any sexual orientation, gender identity or gender expression. Preference will be given to Canadian citizens and permanent residents of Canada.
- Salary : $50,357 - $65,463
- Position Type : Full-time
- Location : Fredericton, NB